Character education > Online story time · Holidays, Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year · Feb. 14th > Valentine's Day · Mar or Apr > Easter · Seasons > Spring · Online Stories
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft with heart shapes mostly and oval eyes.
Recommendation: Review printing option and learning activities to decide on the skills to focus on for this craft.
Review the heart shapes animal crafts that are appropriate for various holidays and pets events.
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print template of your choice, color and decorate if that applies, conduct learning activities below, cut out and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white template to white paper or your choice of color craft paper, and color. Conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Discuss the colors on the template.
- Numbers and pre-math activities: To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Have the children sort the shapes by size, from small to large.
- Count how many shapes in each size. You may want to write the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
Show the small image of the finished craft featured in the template to help the children assemble the craft. Assemble head first.
- To assist the youngest kids, make some light pencil markings for the positioning of the pieces on the head template.
- Have the children practice placing the pieces, starting with the head, as if they were assembling a puzzle.
- Glue the piece representing checks, nose and mouth centered at the lower edge of the head.
- Glue glue the eyes.
- Glue the ears.
- Glue head to body template.
- Glue feet. Note: the feet should be cut out as one piece for easier assembly.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Rr rabbit or H Hare behind the craft.
- Trace and cut the pieces from any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes, and pom pom on the nose.
- Tape the craft to a craft stick or drinking straw for a hand puppet.
- To help it stand, attach to a paper cylinder or a portion of a toilet paper tube. Use painter's tape for easy removal.
- A distinctive feature of hares is that they often have dark markings on the tips of the ears, you may want to add this detail with coloring tools.
- Arctic hare: Print the B&W template, assemble and decorate by filling the feet with small white pom poms and a pink one on the nose. The inner ears are grey to blackish.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero minimum or review Print Help.
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about the hares and rabbits activities.
- Alphabet > Introduce or review.
Letter H hare Set 1
Letter H hare Set 2